Veggie Quinoa Bowl to Your Meatless Meal Rescue
Looking for delicious meatless Lenten meals? Lent is the season following Fat Tuesday leading up to Easter. Another name for Mardi Gras, Carnival comes from the Latin translation of “farewell to meat.” And this is a great time to enjoy nutritious meatless meals like this Southwestern Veggie Quinoa Bowl from Holly Clegg’s Guy’s Guide to Eating Well cookbook – so hearty you won’t even miss the meat!
Quinoa is High Protein Pasta or Rice Substitute
Don’t think of a meatless meal as removing meat from your diet, but more about adding to it. There are so many tasty vegetarian ingredients and quinoa makes a great grain or pasta substitute. If you have never tried quinoa, make sure you do, as this grain-like seed is high in protein, low in fat and also contains fiber and iron – which is especially important for vegetarians.
- Quinoa is one of the few plant proteins that is a complete protein – it contains all 9 essential amino acids our body needs but cannot make on its own.
- 1 cup of quinoa is about 5 grams of fiber and 8 grams of protein.
- Quinoa is naturally gluten free.
- What once was a trendy ingredient only found in health food stores, these days quinoa is pretty easy to find in any grocery store. It can be found in a variety of preparation methods, including dry and ready to be cooked, in microwavable steam bags, and even frozen.
- If you haven’t tried quinoa, you will enjoy the easy preparation and terrific taste of this nutty grain.
- Think of quinoa as a substitute for rice.
Stock Your Pantry & Kitchen to Whip Up This Recipe
Meatless Plant-Based Meals are Good for Your Budget and Your Health!
Meatless meals have multiple benefits, one being budget-friendly. Cutting down on meat can lower your grocery bill. Plant-based proteins such as beans and rice, lentils, and leafy green veggies are often less expensive and more nutritious than meat. Research has shown that meatless, veggie-packed meals such as Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas with Salsa Verde are health and heart protective, lowering your risk for heart disease and diabetes.
Southwestern Veggie Quinoa Bowl from Arthritis Chapter In Men’s Cookbook
This Southwestern Veggie Quinoa Bowl is an absolutely wonderful one-dish quick meal from the Arthritis & Joint Pain Chapter from Holly Clegg’s Guy’s Guide to Eating Well cookbook. Put quinoa on to cook, sauté vegetables and combine together to pop in the oven for a hearty, healthy lunch or dinnertime meatless entrée. Of course, chicken can be added if you want, and it is delicious piled high with diced avocado, tomatoes, and cilantro. Mouth-watering meal that just so happens to be healthy!
Sometimes, it’s easier to eat good-for-you foods in creative ways. This book is a great resource of information as this chapter gives you the foods to fight inflammation. Plus, this cookbook entices men in the kitchen.